There are a lot of weight loss tips out there, some are good and effective, but often do not work because those who start them are not constantly doing them regularly. Good weight loss diet plans allows those who are overweight to lose weight and not to re-gain the weight anymore.
In this article, we will explain about weight loss diet plans and also the general principles of weight gain and weight loss. We will also address the causes of weight gain and the benefits of weight loss, we will teach you how to lose weight by following a healthy weight loss diet plan and doing physical exercise and we will give you some weight loss tips to get started.
Let’s first learn about the concept of energy…
In the older days, eating was the only way to protect yourself from starvation in the event of famine. If our ancestors ate more than they needed, the excess food turned into fat stored in their body. If instead they ate less than necessary, their body converted stored fats into energy.
Nowadays, our refrigerators and supermarket shelves are full of food, so we do not need to use our body as a pantry! Many people want to lose weight only for an aesthetic issue, but the correct motivation should be to achieve a better health. Overweight or obesity, in fact, is associated with an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and some types of cancer.
The foods we eat are a source of energy, just like gasoline for cars. Our body uses energy to keep body temperature constant, to move and to maintain its various functions, such as heartbeat, efficiently.
The energy measurement unit is calorie.
- 1 gram of carbohydrates or sugars corresponds to 4 calories,
- 1 gram of protein corresponds to 4 calories,
- 1 gram of fat is equivalent to 9 calories.
- Caloric needs depend on several factors, for example:
by sex, age, from the level of physical activity (for work and / or hobby), and metabolism.
Children need more energy per unit of body weight than adults because they need to grow. A 90 kg man needs more energy than another man weighing only 70 kg. A builder needs more energy than an employee of the same age, same sex, and the same size.
Also for people of the same age, of the same size and with the same level of activity, different amounts of calories per day may be needed due to differences in metabolism; those who have a faster metabolism need more calories a day.
What are carbohydrates, fats, and proteins?
Carbohydrates are contained in foods containing sugars or starches. Among them we remember:
Proteins are fundamental to the body and are contained in:
- Dried vegetables,
Fats are the most nutritious nutrition principle and are mainly contained in:
- seasoned cheeses,
Why do you get fat when you stop smoking?
There are essentially three reasons why, by quitting smoking, it increases in weight:
- Nicotine in cigarettes accelerates metabolism, i.e. increases the amount of calories that the body uses to rest in a rather significant way (from 7 to 15%): without cigarettes the body will then burn less calories and, by the same diet, will tend to increase weight.
- Cigarettes reduce appetite, and by doing so they usually tend to feel more hungry.
- Smoke is a (ugly) habit; when you say enough you can feel the need and / or desire to compensate for the loss of fat and sweet foods (high calorie).
But it’s worth remembering why it’s okay to stop:
- Heart and lungs will be stronger and more protected from cardiovascular and tumor illnesses; it’s never too late to stop.
- The skin will look younger.
- Your teeth will be whiter.
- The breath will be better.
- Hair and clothes will not smell more smoke.
- They save a lot of money every week.
- They will improve the sports performance.
Why is it advisable to lose weight?
Overweight or obesity is associated with an increased risk of heart disease, tumors, stroke, diabetes, kidney or liver disease, and blood infections. By keeping weight under control, you can live longer and have a better quality of life.
Those who are overweight and can lose weight can notice immediate improvements in their quality of life, for example:
- You can sleep better and longer,
- You will fell more fit and relaxed,
- You will have greater strength and flexibility.
Obviously, those who are overweight and can lose weight will feel better psychologically and deal better with social life; however, those who lose weight only for aesthetic reasons tend to recover weight, while those who are committed to pursuing a healthier lifestyle usually can not regain weight again.
Safe and quick weight loss tips
- If you have a craving for a particular food, do not try to satisfy it by eating too much of another food. Treat yourself to a small portion of the food you want, and go over.
- Never skip breakfast: your body needs energy to move and think. A healthy breakfast is made up of, for example, whole grains with skimmed or partially skimmed milk.
- Read the food labels. A bottle of sweetened fruit juice, which apparently looks healthy, can contain about 200 calories!
- Salad dressings, unless they are light or fat-free, contain many calories.
- Go on with the spirits. Alcohol is a source of energy for the body and every gram of alcohol is equivalent to 7 calories! A light beer or a glass of wine corresponds to about 100 calories.
- Prepare the portions in the kitchen and do not let the diners use them directly at the table.
- Eat slowly: the brain understands that the stomach is full and stops sending the hunger stimulus only 20 minutes after the stomach has filled up!
- If you have learned from little you should never leave anything in the pot, you can easily forget this habit! It is not mandatory to clean the dish when it is no longer hungry. Spending a euro leaving something in the pot is definitely better than paying hundreds of euros in medical care at a later time.
- When you go to the restaurant, do not overdo it with the portions. Restaurants, in fact, serve large portions and rich in calories. Alternatively, order an average portion or children, and leave something in the dish if the portion is too large.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after meals. Water is fundamental to the body and usually reduces the hunger stimulus.
- Between a meal and another, have a snack with healthy foods, for example with the fruit you like. The fruit, in fact, fills your stomach and gives you energy and vitamins. It is also useful to avoid the hunger and the feeling of empty stomach leading you to eating more than you need.
Keeping your weight under control is always a good idea because it helps you stay healthy, prevent diseases, and save you the money you would otherwise have to spend on medical care. To maintain a healthy weigh loss, it is usually enough to follow weight loss tips about weight loss diet plans and also to exercise.
When you are aiming for weight loss, it’s not enough to diet and start doing physical activity for just a few weeks or a few months. You must commit yourself to following a lifelong lifestyle; otherwise you risk recovering your lost weight.
When you try a diet, you should concentrate on gradual slimming and sustaining long-term results. Slimming as fast as possible does not work at all. It is important to vary the choice of food and to afford some moderate transgression from time to time.
To be physically active, physical activity should be included in your daily routine. When choosing the type of activity, it is crucial to opt for an active one. The goals should be flexible and realistic and you should not try to do everything right away.
Other articles you might like;
- Things you have to keep in mind related to weight loss and weight lost diet plans
- Great weight loss guide: 5 tips to lose weight in a healthy way!
- A beginner’s guide to weight loss-how to lose fat and grow muscles?